Friday 10 July 2015

Fabric Friday

Last Friday I had the pleasure of going to my friend Subashini's house for dinner where she cooked me a scrumptious Indian meal. Subashini is of Indian background, but grew up in South Africa and now lives in the UK, via ten years in Australia!
While I was at her home, she took me through her amazing collection of saris.


We strew them all out on her bed and had a bit of a fabric fest! The colours were amazing and many of the saris are very sentimental to Subashini.


This stunning gold sari was the one that Subashini's mother wore on her wedding day!


When you look closely, you can see that the gold threads create a little scene of foliage and houses.


I can't resist the colour purple and this one was stunning, with a woven multi colour border.


I love the combination of teal and orange in this sari.


Of course I couldn't resist trying one on, so Subashini showed me how it was done. She carefully wrapped the sari around me and made a concertina at one end of the sari to create a skirt effect before tucking it into my waistband to secure it. The other end of the sari is then wrapped around the body and slung over the shoulder. This part of the sari often has a decorative border. The sari is usually 5 yards long, so there is a lot of fabric to play with.
I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts