Wednesday 19 September 2018

Fay McCaul

I recently had the pleasure of doing a wonderful jewellery workshop with textile designer Fay McCaul. It was run from her home in South East London, a lovely double-fronted house with views over the city of London. Her studio is in the front room of her home and she taught us how to make stunning jewellery pieces using perspex. She started off by showing us examples of what we could do. I loved the combination of shapes and designs, and the possibilities seemed endless.


After explaining to us what we could do, we got to play with paints, creating shapes and designs onto paper in a variety of colours.


I chose to try geometric shapes in shades of blue and green.


She also had a selection of wonderful foils to play with.


Once you have decided on your designs, you use a heat press to bond the design or foil onto the perspex. I found that it took me a while to figure out what worked for me but once I had figured it out, there was no stopping me! I gravitated towards the foils and the more crumpled they were, the nicer the effect. Below is a selection of what I made. Now I just need to piece them together to make a selection of necklaces.


Whilst we we at her home, Fay showed us her collection of interior designs where she uses traditional knitting techniques combined with modern materials. They really are stunning and one of my favourite pieces was this geometric sample. It uses copper triangles which are knitted together to create a geometric design using an industrial knitting machine.


This can be custom-made into wallhangings, room dividers or screens, like the one below.


Check out more of Fay's designs on her website or you can see her in person at Decorex in Syon Park, London. Although you'll have to be quick as it finishes today! Alternatively, sign up for one of her wonderful classes at Airbnb Experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts