Monday 13 June 2016

New York - Day 1

My first day in the Big Apple was very cultural! I started off wandering round the fab neighbourhood of Nolita, just north of my hotel, before dipping into the New Museum on Bowery. It's an interesting modern building, nestled amongst the tenement buildings around it. When I lived here, the Bowery was the area to buy heavy duty kitchen equipment. Those shops are still there, but there are now also bars, restaurants and hotels scattered along the street.


The view from the roof is pretty stunning, with views of the World Trade Center downtown and views of the Empite State Building uptown.


The exhibitions were interesting, if a tad pretentious! I liked this bejewelled bust.


I then headed to Chelsea to meet up with a friend and do a spot of gallery hopping. I was amazed at how many galleries there were and the streets were really busy, compared to ten years ago. This has all changed since the Highline was developed.


The art work below was beautifully graphic, but it's not until you look closer that you see that each piece has been screen printed onto sheets of newspaper from the day after 9/11. Pretty chilling...


The piece below was awesome in size and presence and was made from rusted steel.


On Friday evening I met up with three of my dearest friends. We were all at college together, so have known each other a long time! We had dinner at a fun Mexican restaurant called Tacombi in the Flatiron district.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts