Friday 14 November 2014

Fabric Friday

Wow, it's been a long time since I've done a fabric Friday! A lot has happened in the past few weeks, including a few shows, a trip to Marseille and of course, my wonderful trip to Tokyo.

Whilst I was in Tokyo, I made good use of the time, shopping for new fabrics and stocking up on good quality clasps. Buying the fabric is naturally my favourite part of the bag-making process, but a close second is the choosing and cutting of the fabrics and finding the right lining to match the outside design. I take a long time finding the right colour, but it feels so good when the perfect one fits. Here's a little taster of what I have been working on.


The fabric on the left is an obi fabric in beautifully subtle shades of dark brown and turquoise and depicts a stylised peacock feather. I've decided to pick out the turquoise in the feather and give it a bright turquoise lining.
The fabric on the right is a combination of obi fabric in the centre and Indian embroidered silk on either side. The two fabrics work so nicely together and this bag will have a magenta pink lining for a contrasting pop of colour!


 These are two obi fabrics. The one on the right is a soft grey and quite a different colour to what I usually choose. It has a hint of terracotta in the flowers, so I decided to mirror that and use a terracotta cotton for the lining.


 These colours are such lovely jewel tones! The one on the right has a bright green flower on it and I decided to use that colour as the lining colour - a beautiful green satin.


I love the big magenta flower on the fabric on the right! It makes such a statement against the silver behind it. I had to give this one a magenta lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts