Saturday 11 May 2019

Mexican laquerware

Needless to say, when I was in Mexico I did a little bit of shopping! It was difficult not to when there were so many beautiful things around me. One of the items I bought was a lacquer tray. Mexican lacquerware is one of the country's oldest crafts and is created by artisans in Olinara, Guerrero. The technique follows traditional methods using vegetable colourants and paints. The lacquer is made with chia oil and the decoration is created by applying two coats of contrasting colours (in this case green and white), and then the top layer is scratched away to create an intricate design. I love the modern, fresh colour palette of this tray and it fits beautifully with my collection of vases in my living room.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts