Wednesday 9 January 2019

Kimono crazy

Another collection I designed for Makower UK recently was called Kimono, based on the designs of Japanese kimonos. Having lived in Tokyo for four years, I built up a rather hefty collection of kimono fabrics and often use them as inspiration for my designs. I decided to do this collection in a vibrant colour palette of purples and reds and introduced gold elements to bring out the colours.


With many of the collections we do, we like to include a panel design. This time I incorporated Japanese ladies wearing kimonos, with other traditional Japanese images. I wanted to use young, modern women as opposed to the more traditional geisha ladies and each one wears a vibrant kimono with a contrasting obi belt. These panels can be used for many different projects. Some people choose to keep them as they are and just quilt around the edges of the squares to use as a wall hanging. Other people cut them up and use the squares as cushion panels or as appliqués for other projects. The actual size of this panel is 24" x 44".


It's always great to see my designs in stores and I couldn't resist buying some for my fabric collection. I chose the stork design and think it would make a great coin purse or glasses case. Watch this space!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts