Thursday 16 June 2016

New York - Day 5

Wednesday was another gorgeously sunny day and I set off with a swing in my step to meet my friend Carol at the Whitney museum. My journey took me through the West Village and past my first apartment in Bleeker Street, and I couldn't resist taking a photo of the outside. The poster shop is still there, 23 years later!


The Whitney was as stunning as everyone had said, with its varying sun decks overlooking the city and its impressive selection of art. It was a pleasure to spend a few hours there, meandering around and catching up with my friend.


For lunch, we headed up 10th Ave to The Park, an oasis away from the mayhem of all the building construction going on. It has an old world Asian feel to it and a lovely covered garden area where we sat out amongst the Japanese maples and tropical plants.


We then headed along the Highline for a quick look. There was so much construction going on!


The foliage has now really started to mature and it's a great haven to spend an hour or so wandering along, despite the crowds. Of course we had to have the obligatory selfie shot!


I then headed down to the World Trade Center to see the 9/11 memorial. I didn't see it last time I was here, and was worried at how I'd react to it. I was living in NY when 9/11 happened and it was a traumatic time for everyone. But I'm really glad I went.


The 'footprints' of the original towers has been used to create two dramatic water features.


Water pours down the sides into what looks like an infinite hole.


The transportation hub looks like a bird in flight from the outside. Inside it looks like a massive rib cage.


After a quick relaxation at the hotel, I headed out to the East Village to meet my friend Ahsley at a funky bar called The Garret on Avenue A. My journey to the bar took me past my old apartment and I couldn't resist taking a photo of the outside. I lived there for 11 years! Many happy memories....


Drinks were followed by a hearty Argentinian meal on 6th street washed down with a tasty Malbec. It's a good job I'm doing lots of walking to work off all this good food I'm consuming...












No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts