Monday 16 May 2016

Nautical naughtiness

A few weeks ago I went on a trip down to the Isle of Wight, a place I hadn't been to since I was ten years old when I went on a school trip there for a week.

I drove down Lymington with my friend Nicky and we got the ferry over to Yarmouth and then drove a short distance to the house that she owns there. It was heaven! Who knew such a haven of loveliness could be so easy to get to?! Her house is on a complex that has a swimming pool and spa, so we made the most of those, as well as visiting some of the attractions on the island.


Yarmouth has a sweet little pier and on Saturday afternoon I went for a stroll along it and watched the sailing bots coming backwards and forwards.


The first place we visited was a lovely photography gallery at Dimbola House, the home of Julia Margaret Cameron who was born 200 years ago and only took her first photo at the age of 49. She was known for her portraits of celebrities of the time and created quite a romantic feel to her photos.


There was a photo of Leonard Bernstein at the gallery (taken by photographer Lotte Meitner-Srop) and I loved the quote accompanying his photo:


I also went to Osborne House, the home of Queen Victoria. It has beautiful grounds and a lovely walk down to the sea where I sat and in a deckchair and enjoyed the view. 


From there, I drove down to the South Coast and Steephill Cove for an afternoon cup of tea. I highly recommend a trip there as it's hidden away and hard to find, which means it's not so busy. It's only a little way along the coast from Ventor, but a whole world away in feel.


As a textile designer, I'm always on the look out for new design reference and my trip to the Isle of Wight was very fruitful. I often design nautical-inspired collections and the island was a treasure trove for ideas. Here are just a few I came across.




The picture below was actually taken in John Lewis! I love the big red graphic lobster.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts