Friday 4 March 2016

Hexagon heaven

I've been staying at my parent's house for the last few months whilst I find a new home to buy. They have been amazingly supportive through a difficult time in my life and we all enjoy spending time together. After dinner, we often sit down to watch something on the TV and mum has inspired me to take up sewing whilst watching TV! She has spent the last few months building up a collection of hexagons with the idea of making them into a quilt, so I also decided to give it a go too and this is what I've done so far. I find it amazingly therapeutic, but I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make it into yet! Any ideas?

I start by cutting out paper templates. The best paper for this seems to be thin printer paper, and you can buy a special plastic template from crafting stores. You can fit about 11 hexagons on one sheet.


I then pin each paper template to the back side of the fabric of my choice and cut round it.


I then tack the hexagon to the paper template. Some people pin their edges, but I prefer to tack around the edges of the hexagon as it gives it a crisp edge.


Then sew the hexagons together using a slip stitch. My mum suggests sewing them in batches of seven to make it easier.
I chose a colour palette of turquoise, coral, cream and brown, in a variety of prints.


Once you have a good selection of sewn pieces, you can sew them all together. It is only after you have done this that the paper templates and tacked sewing can be removed. I'm looking forward to that day, but it may be far off. I have a lot more to make!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts