Sunday 22 December 2019

Tartan Tote

A good friend of mine recently asked for a specific bag commission and I felt very chuffed that she asked me to do it. It involved a tartan kilt that her mum had owned for years. It had been given to her by my friend's dad but, after living in the wardrobe for years, she decided it was time to take it to the charity shop. My friend secretly removed it from the charity shop bag and brought it to me to see if I could make it into something that she could give to her mum as a gift for christmas. The kilt is a gorgeous combination of blues and greens and I knew it would be a joy to work with.



I love a commission and especially something so personal, so we put our thinking hats on and came up with an idea to make a tote bag. Here is the result!


We spent some time deciding on a lining to go with the bag, as well as which straps to use. I have a selection of sturdy canvas straps and this soft green version was a great contrast to the main fabric. For the lining we chose a navy blue and green polka dot fabric.


We thought it would be nice to have a contrasting base to the bag and so I used this lovely grey wool fabric from my collection.


As a little extra, I decided to make a little zipper purse out of the same fabric.


The purse will be great for storing smaller items in her bag such as earphones and mobile phone.



I really enjoyed making these items and love recreating a new gift from something old and cherished. If you have something that you would like to be reimagined, please message me here!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts