Friday 9 January 2015

Fabric Friday

There's nothing like a new year to encourage a bit of fabric sorting and that's what I've been doing today. It's been lovely to rediscover some gems I had hidden away as well as, rather painfully, getting rid of items that are no longer needed. Hopefully they will find a new home and be made into something fabulous!

Today I'm focusing on the kimono fabrics which are so pretty and soft to play with. I tend to home in on the brighter colours and have quite a melange of prints and styles.


Most of my fabrics are kept in boxes, so it's really nice to pour them all out onto the floor of my studio and have a good rummage through them. It's amazing what you can find!


The two silk kimono pieces above are so pretty and use typical Japanese images. The fabric on the left combines blossom with bush clover and is placed on a soft cream ground. I'm pretty sure it would have originally been used as an undergarment. The fabric on the right is a stunning red and cream stork design and would have made quite a statement as a kimono!


These two kimonos are made of cotton and I've been loathe to cut them up. I'm not sure what to make them into yet, but think the stork design would look beautiful on an iPad case and would be something quite different.


This kimono is quite small so I think it may have been a child's kimono.


It's hard to think that these two kimono pieces are vintage when you look at the neon yellow and hot pink used in them! They have such a modern feel to them.
I love the hot pink flowers on the soft grey ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts