Wednesday 13 June 2012

Simple black and white

After focusing on the vibrancy of the obi fabrics for a while, I have decided to return to the more subdued colours of the tengui fabrics that I love.

Tenegui fabrics are something I discovered soon after moving here and was intrigued by. They are lengths of fabric that are sold throughout the year, but become more popular in the summer when they are used as head bands, napkins, or as gift wrapping for a present. There are hundreds of variations on design and colour, many of them depicting typical Japanese scenes or foliage. I love the fact that each of these pieces is also hand printed in the traditional technique. 

Needless to say, I have a rather large selection and am looking forward to making more clutch bags like these. The bottom one combines tenegui with a gorgeously simple coral pink and grey striped obi. You can see them here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts