Tuesday 14 December 2010

Blue and White


For months I have been collecting some beautiful Japanese blue and white fabrics and have finally got round to sewing them together on the sewing machine. I love randomly piecing them in sections and seeing how they grow organically. There is a tradition in Japan with Boro quilts which were originally made from workman's clothes and purely functional. Whenever a hole appeared in the quilt, it would be randomly patched up with another piece of blue fabric, not always relating in tone or hue to the piece it was replacing. But this produces a beautifully organic effect. Some of the pieces I have included in my quilt have an element of this and I love to imagine where the pieces originally came from. I am eventually going to hand quilt this one, so don't expect anything finished too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts